Is Your “Money Thermostat” Set Too Low?
* Have you hit an income ceiling in your business (or job) that you just can’t get past?
* Do you find it hard to raise your rates yet are barely getting by with what you do charge?
* Do you have a hard time holding on to money, especially when you finally get to a certain amount?
* Do you feel like you have to “work harder/more” to make more money?
These are all signs that you have a “stuck” money setpoint. And until you raise your money thermostat, you will continue to experience this barrier to earning–and keeping–more of those dollars.
What exactly is a “money setpoint”?
A “money setpoint” is the amount of money you are comfortable with making before you sabotage it in some way because it doesn’t feel “safe” or “acceptable” or you don’t feel worthy of any more.
This might be how much money you are comfortable charging for your services. Or it could be the salary level you have been stuck at for a while.
How can you find your money setpoint?
Track the most money you ever made in an hour/for a program / in commission / as a salary (or the most you ever made before sabotaging yourself and losing it).
This is your money setpoint. It’s like a thermostat that is stuck at a certain temperature and will not generate more heat until it is set higher.
For the first 3 years of doing my business full time, I was stuck at $24-25k for the year. After 3 years at this same level, I realized I had an income ceiling (as a business owner; I had made more than that when I was an employee) and set about purposefully to change it.
How I reset my money thermostat
I worked with money and Law of Attraction coaches and programs to do so. And it worked! Before long, I made as much in 6 months as I used to in a year. And my business income has exponentially increased since then (even in the recession). This month I am celebrating 8 years in business and many successes accomplished.
Now that I have expanded into business coaching, I help others to raise their money thermostat. And, of course, I keep working to continually raise mine when I hit a new setpoint. Currently, it’s consistent 5-figure months and eventually a 6-figure year.
Here’s two things to do to start to raise your money thermostat:
1. Uncover your limiting money beliefs so you know what is sabotaging you. My private clients and class attendees get a 2-page assessment of the most common ones to more quickly identify them. Then I use tools such as hypnosis, NLP, EFT and the Lefkoe Belief Elimination Process to eliminate and replace them with more powerful ones.
2. Set a higher income goal for yourself and use “feelingizations” to get more comfortable with the idea of having that amount. “Feelingizations” (feeling what you want) are more powerful than “affirmation” (saying what you want) or “visualizations” (seeing what you want). The brain registers more deeply and quickly thoughts that have the energy/vibration of emotion. Emotion triggers chemicals in the brain that allow neural connections to be made so thoughts can change and/or you learn.
There are many other ways to raise your money thermostat, and I can help you if you are interested in seriously working on this (why would you not?). See below for ways to either work with me individually or take advantage of a group workshop I’m holding locally at the end of November.
Have something to say about this topic/post? Please share your thoughts in the comment box at the bottom of the page.
Do you need help turning up your money thermostat? Attend a 3-hour live group workshop with me in Hampton Roads. Go to this page to learn more:
If you’re not in the area, or want to work with me individually, schedule a private complimentary Business Strategy Session with me. We’ll identify what practical and mindset techniques can best help you generate–and keep–more money in your business and your life!